Sunday, December 25, 2011

Cogressman Mr. Ted Deutch expressed his support for Taiwan's democracy and freedom - used with permission


"I write to express my support for the people of Taiwan and their right to self determination and my strong support for ensuring a free and fair democratic election in January.

In 1979, the U.S. Congress affirmed its commitment to sustaining freedom, security, and economic opportunity in Taiwan through the passage of the Taiwan Relations Act. Over the last three decades, Taiwan has developed into a strong democracy that serves as a beacon of hope for those seeking freedom in the region.

In November 2011, the U.S. House Committee on Foreign Affairs passed the Taiwan Policy Act which reaffirmed our support for Taiwan, its democracy, and the human rights of its people. Additionally, I, along with 180 of my colleagues signed a letter supporting the sale of F-16 C/D's to Taiwan.

It is my hope that January's presidential elections will be free from outside influence and reflect the will of the people of Taiwan and their strong commitment to upholding democracy.

As a Member of Congress, I will work to ensure that our nation is committed to fulfilling the Six Assurances and to continuing a strong economic and strategic relationship with Taiwan and her people.

Sincerely

Ted Deutch
Member of Congress"

No comments: